The elevated or suspended temporary structures are used for supporting workers as they move from one place to another with materials for construction. However easy the construction might be due to the use of these systems, there could be danger if certain things are not followed. Therefore, people have to follow certain regulations and play their roles.
General scaffolding requirements in Birmingham
The following are some of the requirements for scaffolding in Birmingham:
· The footing must be sound and rigid in order to support the weight. Under no circumstances should scaffoldings be placed on unstable objects.
· Properly trained workers are the ones supposed to move, erect or dismantle scaffoldings under strict supervision of a highly competent person. A competent person is the one who is able to identify and predict hazards in the surrounding conditions.
· The scaffolds should be able to support four times the intended load.
· Standard guardrails and toe boards must be provided
· Although cross bracing is not allowed as an entire guardrail system, it is acceptable when the two braces cross at a point between 38 inches and 48 inches above the work platform and when the mid rails cross at a point between 20 inches and 30 inches above the platform.
· Screens must be installed between the toe board and mid rail to protect workers against falling objects.
· Any damaged material or component of the scaffolding must repaired immediately.
· All platforms must overlap by a minimum of 12 inches.
· The work area for each scaffold platform and walkaway must be 18 inches wide or more. If it’s not possible to provide a work area at least 18 inches wide then the guardrails must be used.
· A ladder or any other safe means of access must be provided to aid in movement.
· Access must be provided if the scaffold platforms are far from the point of access.
The following are some of the scaffolding in Birmingham roles and responsibilities:
This is an employee who can be able to identify and predict hazards in the working environment or the surroundings and who has authorization to take quick action in eliminating any forms of danger within the working area or surroundings.
These are those employees who are responsible for the erection and maintenance of the scaffoldings.
He or she is an employee who uses a suspended work platform to do work. Must be trained on recognition of hazards associated with working on the scaffold structures.